Neighborhoodism, Government, and Education
Utilizing the most efficient houses, apartments and buildings people move in together to the degree that is comfortable and acceptable to individuals. We create centralized neighborhood kitchens where neighbors gather, and food is prepared in environmentally conservative ways. We use the most energy efficient laundry machines and incorporate standardized clothing that can be used after we use up what we already have. We grow much of our own food utilizing vertical farming techniques and other efficient methods developed by the CHI. When a volunteer workforce is implemented some will volunteer to cook in the centralized kitchens. People will have time to raise their children and take care of the elderly. Children will grow up with adults that care about them instead of being thrust into harsh schools and daycares. People will have time to relax and play. Homeless people will no longer be homeless. People can sit around, play guitars, paint pictures and also play on the Internet. Education can be provided through the internet and free time of the people as well. Neighborhoods could also generally police themselves.
The CHI will develop contingency plans that tell people what to do when the collapse of civilization comes. Neighborhoodism is a way that might be used. Where your living when the collapse comes would probably be your initial designated neighborhood. People will need to move in together within their neighborhoods to conserve energy. There will be moving and adjustments as people find places where they are comfortable and fit their varying needs. Lack of places to live, however, should not be a problem. Many people currently own more than one house. Those extra houses will be available for others to move into. Standardization and consolidation will make many other buildings available as well. Apartment buildings can be very efficient, and people may choose to live in them – at least temporarily. Remember also that there will be no mortgages and no rent. In this way existing communities can generally stay together and the cultural shock from the change will be less dramatic. The CHI can suggest ways to live together and keep an eye on the overall layout of the human population. Not every place will be a good place to live. Sea level rise and other climate change issues will cause people to have to move. Neighborhoodism will allow the acceptance of refugees in the most humane way possible. The other choice is martial law or succumb to the ravages of nature.
Questions and fears will naturally arise with the concept of Neighborhoodism. Wealthier people, for example, may worry of being thrust into poverty neighborhoods and people who already live in poverty neighborhoods may worry they will be forced to remain there. Additionally, people who are skilled in technically needed jobs will need to work close to their jobs in order to minimize the negative aspects of commuting. Resolutions to these problems can be addressed by the CHI.
Humanity’s platform could be used as the means to provide a governmental system. It can provide the places people can go to schedule volunteer work, doctor appointments, travel, education, etc. The elimination of money will reduce the need for government by a great amount. The CHI can form a type of government that is truly for and by the people.
Internet programming can also provide education for everyone – with the best teachers possible. Homeschooling from humanity’s platform can be done over the Internet from preschool all the way up to doctorate degrees. And the education would be free.
The big pot food idea (What neighborhoods can currently do)
Internet statistics show that the average American spends about $550 per month on food. Food prices are going up a lot and so is the price of everything else. This idea is a way to not only lower our monthly food bill, but setup a system whereby the neighborhood we lived in would be better prepared to survive the collapse, whenever it comes.
The idea is to have a huge pot of food ready to dish up and eat at any time day or night (of course this could be done the way whoever did it wanted). The huge pot would be kept warming on one neighborhood stove, so that instead of cooking 60 meals per day, using 20 stoves, 20 dishwashers, 20 trips to the store, and wasting a lot of money ordering delivered meals, a person could grab their bowl and spoon and walk across the street to whichever house was doing the cooking at the time, and fill up their bowl and take it back home. Of course there could be all kinds of variations.
If a neighborhood had a system like this there could be many benefits. Here is a list of some.
- Save money on food.
- Less trips to the store.
- Surplus food, or food harvested from gardens, could be used in the pots of food. I’ve heard that slaves working on plantations in the Southeast US long ago would cook food for themselves in big pots like this. I’ve also heard that slave owners often liked this big pot cooking more than their own. (No offense meant to anyone)
- Instead of cooking every day, volunteer to cook a couple days a month. and once a pot is going there wouldn’t be much to tend to. Neighbors would stir the pot and such. All they’d need is a note set out to remind them.
- Wherever the food was made, that kitchen could become a place in the neighborhood where people could get to know each other.
- Once people in neighborhoods got to knowing each other, then other ways of saving money could be coordinated. Group trips to the dump. Maybe have one commercial wifi setup for the entire neighborhood where each house would pay $30/mo. Instead of $200/mo. Give a neighbor the old dresser you don’t want. A van trip to Costco for 3 people instead of one. You know what I mean.
- Neighborhoods could prepare to survive the collapse in this way by researching how to do things like grow food hydroponically, grow algae for food supplement and to take the place of vitamins, even devise methods of creating energy. I was thinking that instead of solar panels charging batteries, someone ingenious could build some kind of gravity battery where power during the day could be stored by raising a heavy weight and using the energy it released in it’s slow decent at night. This would be a way to acquire all the necessary items as well.